St. Mary's at Stoke-by-Nayland, Suffolk.
St. Mary's church at Stoke-by-Nayland dates from the 15th century. It is made of flint and cement, a characteristic feature of the wool churches, paid from the proceeds of the wool trade. The windows in the southern portal are a few hundred years older, implying that it formed part of an older church. The pulpit is made from stone quarried in Caen and Languedoc, possibly redundant material from the new church in Mistley. A copper plate inside the church commemorates William Mannock, who died in 1616 some 20 years after he forfeited twothirds of his estate after renouncing his belief in the church. This is in stark contrast with the commemoration of Sir Francis Mannock - William was his father -, Esq. of Gifford Hall (not to be mixed up with the farm north of Long Melford), who died in 1634 at the age of 49 years and “whose religious conversion made him reverenced of all”; he is commemorated by a marble statue of a reclining man in the church. Constable liked to depict the church with its four corner pinnacles.