General practitioner's office in Coddenham,
Suffolk. Above the light it reads:
"Coddenham Country Club".
A trip through East Anglia is to some extent a trip to the past, a look into a mirror which takes you back many centuries and exposes the traveller to ancient times and an impressive history. A history which is to a large extent dominated by the manufacture of wool, yarn and cloth, a source of considerable prosperity in the middle ages. This period of great affluence is reflected in the beautiful and large churches in the relatively small villages and towns, and in the beautiful houses which have survived the period during which this region flourished most. Much of this history can be rediscovered in the area of the “Old Draperies”, an area once dominated by wool industry - Hadleigh, Boxford, Long Melford, Sudbury, Kersey and Lavenham. What follows is a brief account of that history.
The Duke's Head, a pub in Coddenham, Suffolk, named
after the Duke of Northumberland, 1502-1553.
Until the fourteenth century nearly all the wool produced in England was exported across the North Sea and the Channel for the production of drapery on the European mainland; only a minor portion was used locally to produce clothing made of crude woollen material. This came to an abrupt end in 1326. In that year Edward III prohibited everyone, with the exception of wealthy fellow citizens, to wear clothes made from foreign cloth, a measure designed to promote the home weaving industry. At the same time he offered franchises to fullers, weavers and dyers. As these measures did not suffice to develop the industry, ten years later he also accepted immigrant craftsmen.
More about the history: Wool Towns of East Anglia